Ever wondered why some people fall ill more often than others? Part of the reason is a poor immune system. The immune system is the body’s defense mechanism against all types of infections. There are a number of ways to strengthen one’s immune system. Here are 10 tips that could help.
- Eat Probiotics: Contrary to popular belief, not all bacteria are bad. 80% of the immune system is in the gut. Keeping gut bacteria healthy can help boost the immune system. An easy way to do this is to have probiotics regularly. This could be in the form of probiotic supplements or probiotic food like curd.
- Eat enough: Many people cut back on the food being eaten in an effort to lose weight. While a low calorific intake can help you lose weight, this is not good weight loss. Not eating enough can reduce your energy levels and keep antibodies from reaching all the parts of the body.
- Sleep well: 8-10 hours of sleep every night is essential for a good immune system. This helps the body rejuvenate itself and improves the immune system’s ability to fight against infections.
- Drink some soup: Stock or broth made from animal bones can act as great sources of glutamine. This amino acid powers the immune system. Glutamine is also available in the form of supplemental tablets and powders.
- Get some sun: Exposing the body to sun light is the easiest way to replenish vitamin D levels. Another way to get your daily amount of vitamin D is through cod liver oil capsules.
- Drink plenty of water: Water not only helps hydrate the body, it also flushes toxins form the body. Ideally, one should drink 8-10 glasses of water each day.
- Quit sugar: Sugar increases the calorific intake but provides no nourishment. For this reason, these calories are also known as empty calories. Quitting sugar can help improve your overall health and boost the immune system.
- Quit alcohol: Like sugar, alcohol does not provide any nourishment to the body. Instead, it impairs the immune system’s ability to function and increases the risk of infections. Hence, it is best to quit alcohol.
- Use herbs and spices: Herbs and spices in your kitchen not only add flavour to your food but can also help strengthen the immune system. the most important herbs for the immune system include garlic, ginger, pepper and onions.
- Exercise: Lastly, exercise regularly. Exercise has many benefits including weight management, improved blood circulation and better immunity. If you do not have the time for an extensive workout, try incorporating exercise into your daily routine. For example, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult us & get answers to your questions!